Saturday, June 01, 2024

How to Air Dry Roses

There are lots of different opinions about the best way to dry roses. I prefer air drying. There are several different ways to air dry. I think what it really comes down to is what you are planning to do with the roses once they are dried.

If you are creating something that needs whole roses, like a wreath, you will want to dry your roses hanging upside down from a line. This will ensure that the blossoms don’t dry drooped over.

Your drying line should be somewhere that doesn’t have a lot of humidity. It should be out of the sunlight to prevent fading, preferably someplace dark. There should be some air circulation. I dry my whole roses in the basement. I have lines strung between the rafters and there is a dehumidifier down there to help with the humidity.

Pick roses that are almost, but not quite fully open. Your roses should be dry. Mid-morning is usually a good time for picking. Cut the stems about 6” or 7” long. Strip the leaves if you wish. Use an elastic to join two stems at the ends and then hang the pair over a line.

Your roses should be dry in about two to three weeks.

Many rose projects just require rose petals. Choose dry, just opened blossoms. Again, mid-morning is a good time for harvesting. Cut a rose from the bush with a pair of pruners. Hold the base of the flower or the stem right up next to the flower and gently twist off the petals. Spread the petals out on a piece of paper or a drying screen. Try to keep the petals from touching each other. Leave them to dry in a dark room with low humidity and good air circulation. Rose petals will air dry in a few days to a week.

I used to use an old window screen to dry rose petals in my basement. I propped up the corners of the screen with cans to ensure circulation. Several years ago, I switched to air drying rose petals with a food dehydrator (Salton) and I’ve never looked back. Rose petals in a dehydrator will dry within a day. Perfect when you have a lot to dry and not a lot of room for laying the petals out. Plus, you don’t have to worry about the individual petals touching each other. Just fill the trays and let the dehydrator do its work.

I also use my dehydrator to preserve rosebuds. I use rosebuds to add some texture and visual interest to my potpourri. I pick rosebuds that are showing colour but have not yet opened. They take a bit longer than petals to dry but will still dry within a day in the dehydrator.

My favourite colour of rose is pink; however, I don’t have pink rose bushes in my potpourri garden. Over the years I have found that red roses dry truest to colour. Pink or white roses often dry with brownish edges, which just doesn’t have the visual appeal of a nicely dried red rose.

Store your dried roses, rose petals and rosebuds in airtight containers in a cool, dark place with low humidity. Whole flowers can be wrapped in acid-free tissue paper if you wish. I generally don’t store whole flowers for long. I either display them in a vase or use them for a project.

I keep rose petals and rosebuds in clean, dry glass jars that have a rubber seal. I put a pickling salt sachet in with the rosebuds. Rose petals keep for a very long time. Depending on the conditions in your home, dried rose petals can last up to four years!

Drying roses is a great way to preserve the beautiful blossoms that grow in your garden. Dried roses on stems are lovely in a vase and look great all winter. Your dried roses, rose petals and rosebuds can be used in a wide range of projects, including potpourri, eye pillows, wreaths, clay face masks, bath salts and rose water. Air drying roses is a simple, cost-effective way to enjoy your rose garden all year long. Give it a try!

🔍To return to the main page, please click on the banner at the top of this page or click on this link: Cupola Corner Blog