Sunday, December 03, 2017

The Possibilities of Potpourri

Merry Christmas Potpourri
I've always loved potpourri. It's a wonderful way to have the garden come inside with you for the winter. I decided this year that I wanted to try something new for Christmas. I made a list of my favourite Christmas smells, did some research and came up with a list of ingredients for my “Merry Christmas Potpourri”. I can now enjoy the "Scents of the Season" all month long.

“Merry Christmas Potpourri” is a dry potpourri, but it has no fixative or essential oils. Mix it up around the beginning of a December and enjoy it’s lovely fragrance right up until Christmas. You can refresh the fragrance by adding fresh ingredients, stirring it up to release the natural oils or by adding a few drops of essential oil.

The quantities of the ingredients are approximate and will vary with the size of your display container. Use a glass container so that you can show off all of your lovely creation. Experiment with your potpourri! Add more, add less, add something different. Stick to dry ingredients, though, in order to keep your potpourri smelling wonderful all month long.

My husband and I had lots of fun making the cedar curls. I borrowed my brother-in-law’s wood plane and we set up our cedar curl workshop on the picnic table. They look great and they smell wonderful. My sister teased me about getting a gerbil... Not happening! We found the little pine cones in a neighbourhood park. The rest of the ingredients came from the bulk food store and the grocery store. I dried the orange slices in my food dehydrator, but you could easily dry them in your oven.

“Merry Christmas Potpourri” would make a lovely gift. Give it a try! Mix it up and make it your own. You'll love enjoying the "Scents of the Season" in your own home.

You can find the recipe here: "Merry Christmas Potpourri"


🔍To return to the main page, please click on the banner at the top of this page or click on this link: Cupola Corner Blog

Making cedar curls with a wood plane Making cedar curls with a wood plane