Friday, January 18, 2019

Meet Broccoli...The Bone Builder!

Broccoli is a plant that is part of the cruciferous family, like cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Broccoli has large flowering heads, usually green, that look like little trees. In fact, my nieces used to call them trees when they were young.

This winter, I am trying to increase my intake of calcium. Actually, it's become a life long goal. I have osteoporosis and after three & a half years, I've had to start taking medication. I'm not happy about that, but numbers don't lie and I don't want to become an old lady with a hump on my back who breaks bones just by bending over. #osteoporosisisnotjustforoldladies

Osteoporosis is a disease that slowly and quietly weakens bones. It is caused by low bone mass and the weakening of bone, which can lead to increased risk of fracture. Fragility fractures represent 80% of all fractures in menopausal women over the age of 50. Fractures from osteoporosis are more common than heart attack, stroke and breast cancer combined.

Dairy products are the best way to get lots of calcium into you, but you can't live on milk, yogurt and ice cream. At least, I don't think you can...

Broccoli to the rescue! One cup of broccoli has 5% - 6% of the daily recommended amount of calcium. It also has lots of vitamin K (116% DV), great for bone building, vitamin C (135% DV), iron (5% DV) & it contains antioxidents.

This winter, I am going to research, experiment with and create some recipes that use broccoli. I hope that you have the opportunity to try some of my recipes. You can keep up with the day to day experimentation on my Facebook page. Photos and recipes will be available in the Broccoli: Bone Builder Recipes photo album on Facebook. I will post recipes here on my blog as they accumulate.

Be bold. Be a bone builder. Eat broccoli.

Learn more about osteoporosis here:
National Osteoporosi Foundation
Osteoporosis Canada

🔍To return to the main page, please click on the banner at the top of this page or click on this link: Cupola Corner Blog