Tuesday, January 02, 2018

The Year of Aran: Irish Knitting

I’ve always loved the fisherman’s knits associated with the Aran Islands of Ireland. When I was young, my mother made an Irish knit sweater for each of us. The twists, turns and baubles intrigued me. The fact that each stitch had a story to tell was a wonderful bonus. Even though historians have discredited the stories behind the stitches, I still love the lore.

My husband’s family has Irish roots on his mother’s side. Several years ago, we took a trip to Ireland with our daughter. It was a whirlwind adventure. We drove around Ireland in a week! I was and continue to be inspired by the beauty of the Emerald Isle. 

I’ve recently decided that I wanted to learn some of the traditional stitches of the Aran Islands. I think it would be a great way to expand my knitting skills, and I also think that it would be a nice skill to someday pass along to my daughter. I’m not thinking sweater, but something new to work into my knitting projects. Hence, “The Year of Aran: Irish Knitting”. 

I ordered a stitch dictionary and bought some ivory coloured yarn. I’m thinking that I might need to learn some key Gaelic phrases for some of those key Irish knitting moments. I am anticipating lots of frogging...rippit, rippit. With enough practice, I might even acquire an Irish accent! Another option might simply be to take up drinking Guinness. It should be an interesting new year. Sláinte!


Dunluce Castle, Ireland  Abbeyglen, Ireland Cashel Rock, Ireland

You can purchase 50 Fabulous Knit Aran Stitches on Amazon.


🔍To return to the main page, please click on the banner at the top of this page or click on this link: Cupola Corner Blog