Sunday, January 07, 2018

Winter White, Winter Blues: Surviving January

Old Man Winter in My Backyard
If January was really all about "walking in a winter wonderland", we really wouldn't have much to complain about. The truth of the matter is that January can be dull, dark and cold. Those beautiful snowflakes become something that needs to be shoveled. You can go for several days at a time without seeing the sun and your nose is always cold. One day you realize that spring isn't just around the corner and winter white has become the winter blues.

Statistics vary, but some estimates indicate that various forms of seasonal depression, including the winter blues and seasonal affective disorder (SAD), can be as high as 26% of the population. That's one out of every four people. If you live in northern climates you are more susceptible and women are four times more likely to experience seasonal mood disorders than men. Additionally, people who already suffer from clinical depression can find winter to be an especially difficult time.

The causes of seasonal mood disorders vary greatly, as do the symptoms. Reduced sunlight can affect our internal biological clock, cause drops in serotonin levels and disrupt the balance of melatonin...all of which affect mood. Social isolation can be both a cause and a symptom of SAD. Other symptoms can include changes in appetite (craving carbs), sleep problems, weight gain, low energy levels and a loss of interest in activities that you usually enjoy.

Surviving January requires a plan. Even if you are just trying to eat healthy or get off the couch, having a plan helps to accomplish your goals. Brainstorm some ideas. Write them down as you think of them. Sort through your ideas and choose your winter goals. Write them down. Your list might have only a couple of items...walk the dog every day and eat a healthy breakfast every day. Your list might be longer and include social, educational or recreational goals.

Keep your list where you can see it and look at it regularly. Having a list can give you a sense of accomplishment as you achieve your goals, but be reasonable. A long list can be overwhelming and just end up being ignored. Start small and consider adding new goals as you go along.

I have been making a Winter List since I retired. I have never yet accomplished everything on my list, but my list makes me accountable, to myself, and it gives me options. Lots of things get carried from year to year...I am a hopeful person, by nature. My list helps me to stay focused and reminds me that "doing" can help when I'm feeling that winter is winning.

This year, in addition to becoming assimilated into the culture of Irish Aran knitting (see previous post), I am planning to finish up at least one scrapbook project, practise my Tai Chi and learn to use my mother's sewing machine. I am also planning to write regular blog posts, so add me to your Winter List and let's get "doing".


🔍To return to the main page, please click on the banner at the top of this page or click on this link: Cupola Corner Blog