Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Grapevines & Grapes!

Had to do some pruning in my "vineyard". Things were getting a bit out of control. I used the trimmings to make this grapevine wreath. Not sure how long it will take for it to dry out, but I'm looking forward to using it to create a dried flower wreath.

When we first moved to the Niagara Peninsula, I thought that growing grapes in my backyard would be a fun thing to do. Turns out that we are living on a clay bed, but with the addition of some nice loamy soil, things were looking good. Two years ago I was finally able to put in some gardens and my mini vineyard was born.

I wasn't expecting grapes until next summer. Surprise! I have a few clusters of Himrod grapes. They are a green table grape. The last time that I grew grapes, the birds got most of them. This time, I'm going to fight for some of them, too.

It's looking like I will be doing some more pruning in the near future. The vines are really growing quickly. I am looking forward to making more wreaths while I'm waiting for the grapes to ripen.