Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Bicycle: History, Health & Hashtags

You would think that in light of the fact that the wheel has been around since 3500 B.C., the bicycle would not have been such a recent invention. It turns out that the first bicycle didn’t appear until the early 19th century. Just barely 200 years ago.

My love affair with bicycles began when I successfully maneuvered my cousin’s two wheeler at about the age of six. I’ve been cycling ever since. Riding my bicycle gave me a sense of independence at a young age. As I got older, it became a mode of transportation and then a form of exercise. Now, I look at it almost as a friend.

The first bicycle was called a dandy horse or a draisine. There were no pedals and the rider sat while using his/her feet to walk the “horse” along. It was made almost entirely of wood. These early bicycles were called velocipede by the French. It was a French metalworker who added cranks and pedals to the front wheel, similar to the construction of a tricycle.

Next came a variety of two, three and four wheeled versions that used cranks, treadles and pedals. Weight was always an issue and these vehicles didn’t roll very easily. Eventually, rubber tires and steel frames evolved into the penny-farthing, or high-bicycle. Its large front wheel allowed for greater speeds, but they were very unsafe. Riders were often hurt when they were thrown from their perch.

The safety bicycle was invented in the late 1800s. It was marketed as a safe alternative to the unsafe high-bicycle. It’s most significant contribution to bicycle history was a chain drive to the rear wheel. It also had a steerable front wheel, equal sized wheels and air inflated tires. The diamond frame was also introduced at this time. The coaster brake replaced earlier versions of braking mechanisms.

The safety bicycle remained popular well into the twentieth century.  It is, in fact, basically what you get if you buy a coaster bike today. I can remember my mother referring to my first bicycle as a safety bicycle. I think this was mostly to make her feel better. I’m not really that old!

Although the derailleur was developed in the early 1900s, it wasn’t until the 1970s that multispeed bicycles became more popular than the single speed coaster bike. Recreational cycling saw the development of the mountain bike, the recumbent bicycle and more recently, modern technology has been used to create stronger and more aerodynamic bicycles. You can even get a bicycle with an electronic gear shifting system.

I’ve been riding the same bicycle for almost forty years. It’s a ten speed, but I only ever use five of them. Over the years, it’s had new tires, but not much else in the way of maintenance has been required. Now that’s a good investment. I recently had handlebar extensions installed so that I could ride more upright...an age related accommodation. Did I just say that?

Now that I have retired, my morning walks have become a morning bike ride...another age accommodation. Did I just say that, again? My morning bike ride is good exercise, but it’s also a good way to start the day. Cycling makes me feel good.

Like any physical exercise, bike riding improves both physical and mental health. It also turns out that cycling improves cognitive health, as well. Several research studies have shown that bike riding can kick your brain into a higher gear, with improved memory and reasoning skills. It should come as no surprise that bicycle riding has been shown to help reduce the symptoms of Parkinson’s, a neurodegenerative disease.

I love riding my bicycle and I ride it pretty much everyday, nine months of the year. I will be the first to admit, though, that I’m not a cycling fanatic. I do not ride when it’s snowing. I do not wear spandex when I ride. I do not do my own bicycle repairs. I do not go on multi day cycling trips. I simply love riding my bicycle. #morningbikeride #bicyclelife #bicyclelove

🔍To return to the main page, please click on the banner at the top of this page or click on this link: Cupola Corner Blog